"I have grown to appreciate the task of helping children take better care of themselves, of each other, and of their classrooms. It's not a waste. It's probably the most enduring thing that I teach. In a world filled with global violence and threats of environmental devastation, where drugs and guns are easily available, learning to be more decent and to build caring communities is hardly a waste of time."
-Ruth Sydney Charney, Teaching Children to Care


"I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework."
-Lily Tomlin as "Edith Ann"

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Cultural Awareness

There are at many cultures and at least six home languages represented in my classes including Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Hindi, Japanese, and English. The school has a high Japanese influence because this is the culture and native language of most of the administrative staff, head of school, and a high percentage of our student population. Because of the blend of cultures and languages, I've been doing a little research.

Did you know...
-In Japan, it's considered rude to eat standing up. (A teacher caught me having a snack in the hallway and kindly passed along this information.)
-Traditional Japanese culture promotes a sense of group identity while the Russian culture promotes a sense of individualism.
-In Russia, you can obtain a free college education by passing an exam. Russia has the highest educational level of the world. More than 40% of the population has a college or university degree. Having a PhD is not a big deal.
-The Vietnamese value system is based on four basic tenets: allegiance to the family, yearning for a good name, love of learning, and respect for other people. These tenets are closely interrelated. Doing well in school honors parents and the family name. (I know a few students who could learn from this.)
-Vietnamese culture includes a desire to achieve harmony between the self and the non-self. (This culture sounds very peaceful, I like it!)

I love anthropology. If I had to choose a different profession, I think anthropologist would be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment