"I have grown to appreciate the task of helping children take better care of themselves, of each other, and of their classrooms. It's not a waste. It's probably the most enduring thing that I teach. In a world filled with global violence and threats of environmental devastation, where drugs and guns are easily available, learning to be more decent and to build caring communities is hardly a waste of time."
-Ruth Sydney Charney, Teaching Children to Care


"I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework."
-Lily Tomlin as "Edith Ann"

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First Week

I haven't updated in awhile because it was a busy first week! I'm having a lot of fun with my mini-United Nations classroom. I love the spontaneous conversations I have with the kids. For example:

Me: "Our friend is absent because he's out celebrating the end of Ramadan."

Student 1: "I know what that is! We celebrate it in Morocco. Only the adults do. It's when they don't eat until sunset."

Student 2: "Is that a holiday? (To me) Do you celebrate Halloween?"

Me: "Yes, but everyone celebrates different holidays."

Student 3: "I celebrate crayons and pencils."

Each day I have lunch with the kids and also go out to recess with them. I've been doing my own little anthropological observations of the students and student cultures. I love hearing the languages and watching interactions. It's quite fascinating. My minor in college was anthropology, so maybe it's only fun for me. :)

This week in math students are learning about number bonds. (e.g. 5 -> 2 &3 or 1&4.) I had the kids create some impromptu number bond picture stories, which turned out kinda cute. I'll have to post them later. I'm thinking they could make a nice parent curriculum night display.

Okay, off to cooking class for me (Indian food). Maybe we'll do some graphing of our favorite foods tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment