"I have grown to appreciate the task of helping children take better care of themselves, of each other, and of their classrooms. It's not a waste. It's probably the most enduring thing that I teach. In a world filled with global violence and threats of environmental devastation, where drugs and guns are easily available, learning to be more decent and to build caring communities is hardly a waste of time."
-Ruth Sydney Charney, Teaching Children to Care


"I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework."
-Lily Tomlin as "Edith Ann"

Friday, March 25, 2011

Support for Japan




The kids have been talking about Japan. "Plates moved and caused an earthquake." "Hundreds of people died." "Boats were on top of roofs." Five year olds are more clued in to world news than I expected. I wanted to do something as a class to show our support and concern.

We made a card for the Red Cross thanking them for helping those in need and expressing our thoughts and concerns for those in Japan. I sent it off feeling a little bit better about addressing my small students' concerns.

love letter to japan

No comments:

Post a Comment